Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Making Alfajores in New Zealand

-->
On Thursday a while ago, I made alfajores. We worked in the food technology room, in the Poutama centre. The Poutama centre is a building in our school where we do technology. I was in a very small group and after we washed our hands we got to taste the difference between dulce de leche and Highlander caramel on separate ends of a teaspoon. We also got to try an alfajor which Mrs Vincent had brought back from Argentina. For me, it tasted like one of my birthday cakes I had when I was little.

After that, we spread the caramel on round water crackers. I enjoyed stacking them over each other as if they were a little tower of goodness. Mrs Vincent got the melted chocolate, gave it a stir and then dipped our crackers into it. I watched closely as the excess chocolate just dripped off our alfajores. Then they went onto the grease-proof paper which was on a plate.

Some people were lucky enough to lick the spoon (including Mrs Vincent) and then we tried our alfajores. I decided to save mine for later so I dried the dishes that Pooja washed and I put them in the appropriate places.

When I tried my biscuit, I could taste the sweetness of the chocolate and I could feel the crunch of the water crackers. I could also feel the gooeyness of the caramel. I enjoyed having the alfajore biscuit.

This is Highlander Caramel, Dulce de Leche and two different types of alfajores that Mrs Vincent brought back from Argentina.


This is me about to spread the Highlander caramel between the water crackers.


This is Pooja and me doing the dishes after making the alfajores.

By Gulnoza, aged 11

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gulnoza
    I loved your descriptive writing in this post. It was so descriptive, my mouth started watering as I read about the making of the alfajores. I love trying food from other countries and will have to get Mrs Vincent to make some more when I am next in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved making the Alfajores they were yummy
    Caitlin Bonnar

    ReplyDelete