Friday, November 9, 2012

Cinquains by Huia 1


 A cinquain is a poem of  five lines and 22 syllables.   

This first line has 2 syllables
The second line has 4
The third line has 6
The fourth line has 8 
and the fifth line has 2 syllables

or
Line 1:  one word (usually noun)
Line 2: description of noun
Line 3: action 
Line 4: feeling or effect
Line 5: synonym of initial noun 

Here are some of our cinquains. Can you find the poetic devices and figure of speech we used?



Rainbows
vibrant colours
arcs lurking in the sky
a vivid sight of happiness
bright streaks

Caitlin - I used assonance, rhyme, personification, metaphor


Mornings
sleeping, sleeping
sunshine's seeking my eyes
my hand lands hard on my face. Smack!
Awake. 

Tonu - I used assonance, alliteration and repetition

Earthquake
is newsworthy
rumbling belly
anxious for  deadly destruction
Beware!
Karnjeet - I used a metaphor, personification  and alliteration

Water
dazzling di'monds
evaporates skywards
a satisfying crystal drink
sky-blue

Karnjeet - I used a metaphor, alliteration, imagery


Night
silver plate
lurking behind clouds
stars dancing like fairies
Blanket

Lauren - I used metaphors and a simile

The Ball
winter wardrobe
spinning, twirling, whirling,
sweets, treats and pastries to savour
Narnia

Shayla - I used alliteration, rhyme and repetition,


Apple
crunchy, crispy
red like a fighter's blood,
exploding juices into my mouth
spit pips

Flynn  I used alliteration, simile, assonance  and  imagery


Moonshine
blooms light through night
gleaming reflecting
silver steps ripple the harbour
glist'ning

Hoani - I used a metaphor, alliteration, imagery, assonance and rhyme

The Moon
icy cold ball
glist'ning on calm water
arriving slowly and slowly
solid

Jupman  - I used repetition, metaphor and  alliteration


Soccer
need energy
need to pass
running, jumping and shooting
football

Akjot - I used repetition and assonance


Fireworks
blare vividly
ignite the inky sky
like gaudy clouds raining
vibrant

Alisha: I used - a simile, assonance and alliteration


Autumn
swimming in leaves
leaves falling like soft snow
leaves golden like the sandy beach
Dive in!

Jackie - I used an extended metaphor, repetition and  a simile

Summer
multi-coloured
well-illuminated
exuberant joy ev'rywhere
blazing

Renae - I used assonance and consonance


Cyclone
the end is near
time has come for mercy
serial killer on the loose
Prepare!

Rudadiso - I used imagery and personification 


Red Rose
petals bursting 
raindrops splash and settle
fresh, fragrant, soon fading away
ruby
Ramandeep - I used assonance, metaphor and alliteration


Ice-Cream
wrinkly snow hill 
slip sliding down my chin  
avalanche of cookies and cream
lick it

Cameron White - I used metaphors,  alliteration, assonance and imagery 





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment