Wednesday, September 1, 2010

We learn to give reasons for our opinions


We used the article written about language learning in our school to learn how to write a letter to the editor. See also our previous blog.

The skills we are learning include, how to keep to the point and argue the specific issue with evidence or valid reasons, i.e. we had to think about advantages of learning a language specifically at primary school level, not just advantages of learning languages. This is because, according to the article, Professor Ellis recommends that learning a second language should be compulsory at high school but believes there is little evidence to show that learning a second language is of value before then.



We disagree.

Here is our response:

Our school appeared in the August 12 edition of The Aucklander magazine in an article by Joanna Davies about learning languages.

We were surprised by the comments of Professor Rod Ellis and would like to respond to his comment regarding the value of learning a language at primary school:

Rod Ellis, a professor in the Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics at the University of Auckland, says offering languages provides a good balance in high school curricula, but believes the case for starting foreign languages in schools is weak.

"The studies that have been done have shown no advantage in starting the teaching of foreign languages early. In New Zealand, the majority of foreign language courses at primary school level are the 'taster' variety. Frankly, these are a waste of time, especially as they are often taught by teachers with no training or expertise in teaching a language.]

From our point of view, he is underestimating the kids. We enjoy learning Spanish and we feel we will have an advantage starting high school with an experience of learning another language. Some of us feel that it might be an advantage to help us get into the high school of our choice.


We know how to make different sounds which are unlike English sounds. If we start earlier we can also master the accent better. Learning about one culture (while learning its language) can help us learn more and we can learn differences and similarities between cultures.


Learning one language at primary school can inspire us to learn another language, especially if our primary school language isn’t available at high school. Most of us know already that we want to take a language for NCEA (or Cambridge exams) and some of us feel that we could get higher marks and will have more time to study other topics because we are already ahead. Some of us would like to become AFS students and live in a Spanish-speaking country


At primary school we can decorate our classroom with Spanish language and culture; we can sing songs in Spanish (not just in Spanish lessons) and use Spanish language at any time of the school day - including in assemblies. We don’t have to have exams but our teachers do give tests. We have talked to other people around the world on Skype and we have had Spanish-speaking visitors to our school through AFS. We have spoken in Spanish to people from other countries and we spoke Spanish at camp, especially to ask for our meals. If we were eating at camp, we had used Spanish successfully! (Note from Mrs Vincent: I do not think this is what Professor Ellis meant by 'taster course'...)


We wonder what exactly Professor Ellis means by ‘advantage’ and how it is measured. Maybe he thinks it is not an advantage because everyone else will be learning the basics which we already know. This could give us a short term advantage at the start of high school. The teacher could give us extra work or we could help other students.


You never know when you would find out that learning a language at primary school could be an advantage. You might find out tomorrow, in two years time, or even twenty years. Some of us have learned English at primary school as our second language and this has been an advantage.


We will get back to Professor Ellis in five to six years, at the end of our high schooling, to continue our debate.


From Huia 1

The Gardens School


Some individual comments:

I disagree with Professor Ellis because when you’re young your brain is more open to different things. I also think that I will have an advantage next year when I do Spanish because I will already know so much about the Spanish language and culture. (Maria Year 8)


I disagree with Rod Ellis because when you are younger you pick up stuff faster and you don’t think about anything else, but, when you’re older you would be like, “Nah! This is boring. I don’t want to do this and I don’t want to do that!” And, the more you practise the better you get. (Erica Year 8)


I disagree with Rod Ellis. It could help you to learn it all the way to high school without stopping. You could have a little advantage or even a big advantage. It is also good fun when you learn another language. (Chris Year 7)


Well, Professor Ellis, I think you are very wrong because once we have learnt a different language we will get a little push at any language in high school. But, you are also a little bit right. If you learn a language at a young age, you might forget it, but, if you learn it at Intermediate stage you will not forget. (Nikhil Year 7)


I disagree with Rod Ellis. I think we should have the right to learn languages in primary school. I think starting to learn languages at a younger age will take you the extra mile later on in life, and when you get to high school you’ll have that extra knowledge. (Mighael Year 8)


I disagree with Professor Ellis. I think kids should be able to learn other languages and other cultures. We should be able to have the fun and enjoyment of other languages. (Bailey Year 7)


I disagree with Rod Ellis because if you learn Spanish at primary school you will know a fair amount of Spanish for high school. If you were in a Year 9 class and no one else learned Spanish before, you will have the advantage. (Richard Year 7)


I think he is wrong because if I started later than I have now, I wouldn’t have learned as much, and it would take me longer. Also, I had no idea I was good at languages until I learnt Spanish. I would never have discovered this talent unless I learnt Spanish at primary school. Also, now I want to take other languages when I go to high school so I can teach languages when I’m older. (Rebekah Year 8)


I disagree with Professor Rod Ellis because if a child wants to grow up into an AFS student and travel around the world, learning different languages is necessary. Plus, if a child is young and is learning different languages it is easy for them because the child can pick it up quickly and store it in their head. (Nikeeta Year 8)


I disagree with Professor Ellis because I think if you learn earlier than everyone else, you already know. I knew nothing about Spanish at the start of the year but now I can have a conversation, ask for food and count to 150 in Spanish. (Ben Year 7)


And, check out here for another response to the article from Adèle Scott, President, NZ Association of Language Teachers

No comments:

Post a Comment