Friday, September 25, 2009

News From Nikeeta on Holiday in the Cook Islands


Huia 1 student, Nikeeta, is currently on holiday in The Cook Islands. She sent us this email for our blog. Notice the red dot in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on our world map - that's Nikeeta.


DAY 1

Wondering...?
I am wondering what it's going to be like there, and all the different things that I am not quite sure of, although I am still extremely excited. However, I'm scared too about going on the plane... (if you know what I mean...)

I don't know, although I do wonder how the roads and people are going to be like. I heard that there is an interesting kids' club and you go at least for a day, and they give you lots of interesting thing to do, as in learning how to weave, snorkelling, looking and discovering new fishes and lastly feeding the fish. I hope the water is a bit shallow.

How the flight went...
The flight went well when it took off, although it was a bumpy ride. We had a good meal. I had
crumble chicken, pasta rice, and ice cream which was delicious. Everything went great and we landed 1.40 a.m. (Cook Island time). I noticed that people put some flowers around people's neck to great new people which I found really cool! I found it really surprising that we didn't have to wear seatbelts while we were in the car - a bit dangerous, I must say.

This was really funny. When we came from the airport, this man took our luggage
and loaded it on the bus. We thought it was stolen although he did put the luggage (with our permission)but didn't take us and then this really kind lady managed to get us a van to take us to the hotel and our luggage was in our room before us. We are in Room 502. It is a bit small in there, all we have is a toilet bathroom and t.v, bedroom and a connecting door to the other room.

The Place...
The place is great and the people are so kind. They say "hello" to people and also we have breakfast for free and even dinner. There are special activities you get to do daily which I find really interesting. We have got the kids' club - thinking I should go today (Day 2).
I will be going and feeding the fish at 1.30 (Cook Island time). The safety people say that you shouldn't really touch the fish because they don't like it although you can feed them as soon as you get those fish feeds, which are a type of food for the fish. They come up to you and, oh boy! They love their food and especially who feeds them it. There is also a big swimming pool next to the sandy beach which is awesome. We haven't tried it yet although we will get a chance.

My Day...
My day went great. As soon as I woke up I felt a bit tired because we didn't have that much sleep because we landed just that morning. Although, after a while this really nice lady named Mairah, at least I think that's how you spell it, gave us the orientation about this whole hotel. She helped me make a tiaras with some leaves that you weave with. Mine was the best!!! It was soo awesome. I enjoyed my day.

There is a special Cook Island night and that is the night were you get really into Cook Island traditions. It is great because there are lots of Cook Island dances which really fascinate me and lovely food which is known as lovo in our culture and Cook Island. What lovo is, is that
there are pork,beef,lamb and chicken and those are really nice types of meat cooked underground with some spinach cooked.

I am looking forward feeding the fish today.
Catch ya later!

Say Hi to all Huia 1 students.

1 comment:

  1. seems like a cool holiday but then again....

    ReplyDelete