Sunday, September 23, 2012

What we learned about drama - and Shakespeare, Part 2

The Huia 1 Cast of Romeo and Juliet
This week, I learnt to speak to the audience while doing my part in Romeo and Juliet. I also learnt that when I speak in a play I need to pronounce all my words correctly and not run them together. I am very good at remembering my lines.

I think the person who did the best insult was Ramandeep with, "O thou vile one!Kylah - the nurse


This week I memorised my cues for the narrators' part. I learnt that when we were on stage to not smile, and to look at the audience. 

I think I did well to not smile at some funny parts because when the audience laughed, I felt like laughing too. On stage, I felt confident when saying the narrators' part. If I did it again, I would speak louder and be more confident that I could do it. I would also try to get a spot for a character.

My favourite part was the killing scene when Tybalt killed Mercutio, and then Romeo killed Tybalt. I think the most improved person was Juliet because she wasn't speaking loud  or clearly at the start, but now we can hear her better and is not speaking so fast. Cameron M - narrator

The first part we learnt was the end, "A glooming peace this morning with it brings . . . "

The funniest part was when Romeo couldn't open the bottle of poison. I think that Mercutio had the best death and Lord Capulet was the best angry person.  I  learnt that exeunt means all exit. Kyran - narrator

 We learnt not to smile because we are not the audience. I had to memorise my words and the narrators' parts. When we rehearsed, I was so nervous, but I just had to do it. On Thursday, we had to show everybody that we had practised for the play. The insults were Shakespearean  and some of them were funny. The Montagues were blue and the Capulets were red. At the end of the play, Romeo and Juliet die and in the middle, Tybalt and Mercutio die. Lady Montague dies of a broken heart. Jackie - Mercutio. 
The Montagues  



 

This week was our performance week. Our class play was Romeo and Juliet. I showed that I learnt stagecraft by speaking slowly and clearly so people could understand what I was saying. I also learnt I could memorise my lines and the narrators' parts too. I also learnt the cue for when I have to say my lines. This week we also practised every day, so our play would be perfect. When it was our turn to show everybody our play I felt nervous, but after we started, I felt all right. When it was finished, I felt relieved that it was all over. 

The thing I did well was speaking slowly and clearly because I didn't race my lines or words together.  If I did this again, I would do more action because I didn't do much. 

The people who I think have  improved the most are Jessica (Juliet) and Cameron W (Romeo) because they had to remember a lot of lines and do a lot of actions too. The person who I think was the angriest was Tybalt, played by Karnjeet, because he really acted like he was really angry. The best death, I think, was Jackie (Mercutio) because  he really took the spotlight when he was dying. Latrey - Benvolio


 At first  I was really shy, but at the end I really wanted a part because I had got more confident. Next time I'll get a part. The funniest part was when they all die because when they stabbed people, everyone started laughing. I have learnt that Shakespeare is actually not that boring. 

If I do Romeo and Juliet again, I would be Juliet because I am sure I can do that role because I'm loud and can show emotion. 

My favourite parts were the balcony scene because Juliet was talking about Romeo and how nice he was. But Romeo pops up and Juliet was shocked that he was listening. I also liked how everyone died at the end. Ramandeep - understudy and narrator


The Capulets

I have learnt how to speak clearly  and louder so the audience can understand. It took me a while to memorise my lines at the start, but then I could recite them almost perfectly. I think I did well speaking at a slower pace and not mumbling, because my mum was there and she said she could clearly hear me speaking. Next time, I would use more expression when expressing something like sadness. I felt proud after our performance because I felt I had improved greatly. 

My favourite part was when the families realised they both were wrong and didn't fight any more. The funniest part was when Romeo died and Juliet woke up straight away. It was the worst timing in the world! 

The scariest part for me was when I had to lament that Juliet had died because I had trouble with that. 

I now fully understand the Romeo and Juliet story and could probably recite it in my own words. 

I think the most improved class member was Jessica (Juliet) because she has come a long way with her actions and expression. Caitlin - Lady Capulet

This week we did drama and we practised a lot.  I learnt all the boys' narrator parts, and my favourite one was, "A glooming peace . . . " My favourite part was when Tybalt killed Mercutio, and then Romeo killed Tybalt. My favourite insult was "Me thinks you stink !"

Next time, if I get to choose who I want to be, I would be Lord Montague because he doesn't talk too much and he is strict. I think Romeo (Cameron W) was really good, and the best death was Paris's (Danny).

The play was written by William Shakespeare over 400 years ago. I learnt that William Shakespeare lived in England and he did plays in the Globe Theatre during the day because there was no light at night time. Akjot - narrator


This week we performed a play in front of an audience. My favourite part was the death scenes because before they died, they sad their lines very well. I learnt many Shakespearean insults during our play, like: 
"Scurvy companion!"
"Maggot pie!"
I have easily learnt  the narrators' part but I wasn't used to the cue. If I did it again, I would still be a Capulet and a narrator, but do even better than before. 

The funniest part was the murderers with the daggers.  I think the most improved is Jessica (Juliet), and Cameron W (Romeo) has improved as well because he looks at the audience a lot. In the balcony scene, there was a soliloquy where Juliet spoke her thoughts aloud to the audience. Bridget - narrator


I played Lady Montague and I don't think I was loud enough, though at first, I was really scared. At first, before I was about to start, I forgot my words. I just went blank, but then my words came back. After a while, I wasn't scared - but I only had to say one line, so that was good.  I thought how we were screaming our insults was cool, and it was fun.  With the cues, we came in too slow sometimes - but most of the times it was good. I did well because I didnt go through it too fast. If it did it again, I would be louder. It felt good after I finished  because it went really well. 

The funniest part was the killing scenes because the characters were really good at dying. I think the most improved was Tonu as Lord Montague because he was really shy at first and yet he got up there and did it well. My favourite scene was the balcony scene because it's cute how Romeo pops out and Juliet got scared. Tegan - Lady Montague

I learnt how to say my insult violently. My insult was "Dung hill!", and my one was the best and loudest. When I had to say my part, I think I said something funny because people started to laugh. But overall, I am proud of myself because I haven't performed in a long time. I have achieved a lot of things with my acting and my lines. I think Lord Montague (Tonu) has got more confident in the play - better than when we were doing our rehearsal. I didn't expect that from him.  Glenton - Capulet servant 
 
Count Paris, Prince Escalus and Friar Lawrence


No comments:

Post a Comment