Tuesday, May 15, 2012

ANZAC Day Assembly

We have had such a busy start to the term. Week 1, the Intermediates were busy researching, preparing and practising for our ANZAC assembly on the first Friday of the term. Then, Week 2,  we were very busy preparing for our camp at Awhitu. Week 3, we were away at camp, and now, Week 4, we are busy catching up on everything as well as doing after-camp follow up - including writing many thank-you notes to all the people who helped make out camp such a success.

Meanwhile, here are some of the class's comments and a slide show about our ANZAC assembly:
Here is a link to the You Tube video of the Flanders Fields music 
Today at the ANZAC assembly, the choir sang Flanders Fields and Abide with Me. The speakers were Shayla, Kobe, Bhaban, Jack and Tegan, and the introducers  were Leon, Mannat and Selena.
Members of  the Manurewa RSA came to our assembly. Some people had tears. Some people were wearing family's or their own medals. Today was very cool. The RSA  president said we probably knew more than he did. He also said that we would be very good leaders.
 The RSA had morning tea with guests and some students. Renae, Laura, MAddy and I did the dishes after they all had finished.All day, poppies were worn. ANZAC stands for Australia New Zealand Army Corps. Kylah

I felt the poem "The Soldier Dream" had a real impact on the RSA members who fought in Vietnam. The ceremony brought tears to the RSA members' eyes. I thought the ceremony was very effective and improved a lot from last year. Caitlin
The RSA members were really nice. I felt scared I would mess up my part and say the wrong thing, but I got through it and wasn't scared anymore. My Mum and Dad and Nana came and I was so happy that we brought tears to their eyes. Tegan
I learnt so much about ANZAC Day today. It was really interesting to know that people who have gone through a lot of bravery to fight for their God and country. I also loved singing those songs that soldiers wrote and sang. I learnt that it doesn't matter what kind of poppies people wear - it means the same thing. I didn't do much at the assembly but sit in the audience. I'm going to take part in speaking next year. I liked the way the RSA speaker said we knew more than they did. Alisha
Here is a link to our previous ANZAC blog post - with pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment