Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Princess Smarty Pants Visits our School

This morning, all our students watched a performance of Princess Smarty Pants, based on the book by Babette Cole, performed by students of Alfriston College. Although this performance was aimed at a younger audience, the Intermediate classes were watching it to learn more about what is involved in putting on a drama production, and the skills and techniques involved in performing in front of an audience. Huia 1 were also looking specifically at themes and conflict in the story being told, so we could relate them to themes and conflict in our recent novel study of "Holes" by Loius Sacher. It was also good to support our local high school and our past students who were involved in the production.

Here are some of the comments about the play by Huia 1 students:
Although I realise they were actors, I still think it was believable. The choreography was great and they must have worked really hard. I learned that to be in a play, you have to be enthusiastic and sometimes you have to shout as you don't have a microphone. Matthew .My favourite part was when the singers were singing because they were in tune with the songs and the beat. I learned that to be in a play you have to have the proper skills, like Alfriston College did. You have to memorise the words because when you go on, the words aren't there. Hoani.

They were good actors and good guitar players. They spoke loud and the people at the back could hear them. They looked confident. I want to be like them when I go to high school. Fa'afili
I liked the show and it also made the Juniors laugh. It was entertaining, with believable costumes and funny jokes. I learned that to be in a play you must have a clear voice, not make mistakes, have good expression and be confident. Donny.

I knew they were high school kids but they were really good actors because they got the message across to me. I learned that to be in a play you have to have a good mind because you have to remember a lot of words and if you forget some it would be embarrassing. I learned that enunciation is important. Tegan.
They put so much effort into the play because they cared so much about everything. The sound effects made it real and touching. I learned that the simplest story can turn into a magical moment. Every play can be magical if you know what to do at the right time and to be brave, even though it can be scary. Annella
I liked it because they got into their characters and were credible, like the trees acted like trees - even though they talked. Jakob.

I learned that watching and listening to a story based on something for Juniors is actually really cool. It showed me that I want to do drama at college. Shayla.I like the way they said the words clearly so everyone could hear. They are really good actors for high school kids. I learned that just because you're not that age it does not mean you can't watch it, because you might enjoy it. This showed me that when I go to high school, I might want to act. Renae.I learned that you have to be in character all the time. Sarah.
The funniest part was when the guy was a professional horse rider but couldn't ride a horse - and he was scared of the big horse. I learned that plays made for young people can also get the interest of older people. I think I got my money's worth. Chris
There was good acting because they emphasised their characters' emotions and made it clear. I learned that to make a good play, you don't need to use really flash props or costumes to make it look flash and to make it entertaining. You need a lot of time to practise and memorise your lines. When I grow up I want to act a little bit. Jessica.

I learned that to be an actor you need good expression so that you don't lose the audience's attention. I think I got more than I paid for. Hunter.
I learned that some books can have big plays inside them. Bhabandeep.



No comments:

Post a Comment