Monday, August 3, 2009

Some of our Factual Reports on Argentina

In our class we are all writing a report on one topic about Argentina. We are learning research skills and report writing skills. We are also learning a lot about Argentina. We got our information from the internet, library books and from people who answered questions on our blog last term. (Thank you everyone who helped.) We will be adding these bit by bit. Can you please correct us if we have made any errors in our facts, or, could you please leave a message if you would like to add anything we have missed out.

Bernardino Rivadavia
(May 20, 1780 – September 2, 1845)
His full name was Bernardino de la Trinidad Gónzalez Rivadavia y Rivadavia . He was the first president of Argentina from February 8th 1826 to July 7th 1827. He had African ancestors and his political rivals used to call him Doctor Chocolate.
Bernardino Rivadavia was born in Buenos Aires in 20 May 1780. In 1809 he got married to the daughter of the viceroy of the Rio de la Plata, Juana de Pino y Vera.

He took part in the May Revolution for Argentine Independence in 1810.
In 1811,he became the leading member of the governing triumvirate as Secretary of the Treasury of War.

In 1815, Rivadavia was sent to Europe to improve Argentine relations with Britan and Spain.
He returned 6 years later in May 1821.

Rivadavia died in Cadiz, Spain in September 2, 1845, at the age of 65 years.

by Sheena

This is a picture of Bernardino Rivadavia.

I got my information from Wikipedia and Fact Monster. This was a hard topic for me to research because I had to go to the internet a lot of times because I couldn't get enough information that I understood. The most intersting fact for me was that he had to go to Europe for six years. I would like to know if his picture is on any of the Argentine coins or pesos.


This is not part of my report but, I went to the Auckland Food Show on Sunday and I went to a stall where two ladies were selling mate and the mate drinking cups. When we went there, I recognised the word 'mate' and I told my Mum. Then she told the ladies that I had been studying Argentina and one of the ladies asked me, "Have you tried anything from Argentina?"

I said that I had tried dulce de leche and alfajores and that they were delicious. I tried some mate and it tasted better than the one we tried at school. It tasted like tea.



Eva Peron

Eva Peron is one of Argentina's most successful women.

Eva was the first Argentine woman President. She stood in front of a crowd of 2 million cheering supporters. Some of them had camped out all night just to get near to her. They all wanted Eva to run for vice president of Argentina. Her husband, named Juan Peron, had been the Argentinian President since 1946.


One of Eva's sayings was: “I shall always do what the people wish, but I tell you that I would rather be Vita than the wife of the President, if this Evita could do anything for the pain of my country; and so now I say I would rather be Evita” .

It is said that Eva did not want to be vice president. The crowd shouted, “No, no!” They wanted Evita to announce that she would run for office. No lady in Argentina had ever held such a high office.

Some people thought Evita Peron was low class, hard-hearted and selfish. They told rumours about her past. They said that she and Juan stole money from the government. Some other people saw Eva as their leader, and wanted her to run for vice president. Eva said she would not say she would run for vice-president, so she said to the people:

“Comrades, it's said that I am a selfish and ambitious woman; you know very well that this isn't the case. But you also know that everything I did it was never so that I could have any political position in my country.”

The crowd started cheering and chanting even more. Juan Peron was surprised she was more popular then he was!

Right after that night she felt ill. It was cancer. In 1952 at the age of 33, she died of cancer. Lots of Eva's life was mysterious. Some people thought she and her husband had stolen money from the government but they both regretted it.





Where I got my information from:

Eva Peron - First lady of Argentina by Darline R. Stille I got the picture of Eva Peron from Google Images.


by Caitlin


The most interesting thing I learned was that she didn't want to be selfish. She just wanted to be herself and for people to think she was nice and warm-hearted. Mrs Lee, one of our Spanish teachers has been to Eva Peron's grave in Buenos Aires. She said the graves are above ground and they have patterns on them. (see some of Mrs Lee's photos of Eva Peron's grave below). I'd like to find out who and how many were against her because I learned that not all people wanted her to become vice president. When I am older I want to go to Argentina to see her grave and learn more about her and her life. There is a musical about Eva Peron, called "Evita" . I would go to see it because it is about her and her amazing life and she seems like an interesting person to research.






1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic blog!! Our classes blog could use some of your ideas.

    Omkar

    ReplyDelete