Wednesday, November 10, 2010

We learn that some things are the same and some things are different



On the 7th of November some students from Wodonga South School, Australia, came to New Zealand for an exchange program.

They were picked up from Auckland Airport by their host families. We had to wait for almost an hour until they finally came out of the doors. Most of them woke up at 4:00 a.m. to get the bus at 5:00 to get to the Melbourne Airport at 11:30 a.m.

Here are some quotes from the students themselves:

Karen: I personally think that it is much more greener than Australia. It is great that we don’t have to wear shoes because in Australia we have to wear them all the time.

Zoe: Everyone is really nice. The times are different to Australia, and so are the lunchtimes. This school is a lot greener than our school, and your field is square; ours is oval.

Darcy: Much greener than Australia. Everyone has been really welcoming and nice to me.

Sarah: Everyone is so nice, their school is so big. the time is 2 hours different to Australia, they do things different in class like they don’t wear shoes in class. The weather is really cold compared to Australia.

Ande: The Rangitoto trip was great, the view was awesome. I like not having to wear shoes at this school. When I was walking through the water it was up to my thighs and when I slipped over and got soaked and I was cold.

Braiden: When I came over, the families were very welcoming and have been really nice to me.

Michael: Way different than our school. It’s larger than our own school as well.

Liam: The school is very different to our school. We moved classes to do maths. With subtraction they use a very different technique. They have a big rectangular pitch, and we have an oval. The two schools are both good schools to be at.

Georgia: The school is different because they have a break first, then lunch. The school is bigger and much greener.

Ash: The school is so big, so much bigger than South and has heaps of kids. All of the kids here are so nice and so is my host family. I want to stay here for longer.

Cassie: The Gardens School is so cool. It’s bigger than Wodonga South for sure. Everyone is so nice and wanting me to say, "six' or "fish and chips".

Thomas: I had fun at Rangitoto and the climb was easy to get up.

Avery:It’s been fun so far. I liked the ferry and the climb of Rangitoto.

Abbey: The school is bigger than ours.It is good that we don’t have to wear our shoes.

Wodonga students update their blogs in our computer suite.

And the people that are hosting them:

Caitlin: I am hosting Karen and I really like how she is enjoying it so much! Everyday we find something fun to do, e.g scarecrow tag, guides, dancing, etc. At Rangitoto yesterday everybody looked like they were having SO much fun!!!! It was funny to find out that they call jandals “thongs”.

Louise: I’m hosting Cassie and Michael. My family and I are really enjoying them being here.

Matt: I’m hosting Braiden and he hosted me when I went to Wodonga South last year. We had lots of fun then and now we are having lots of fun since we already know each other.

Connor: I’m hosting Liam. It's really fun because we get to do things he wouldn’t do and we go to really cool places.

Jack: I’m hosting Thomas n he is a really awesome kid because he is a brown belt at karate.

Abbie: It’s been a great experience to have a person from another country come and stay at my house. Abbey has brought us an Australian game of Monopoly, and we have had lots of fun playing it.

By Caitlin (on loan from Kea 1 while Mrs Whitehead is at Athletics Day), Darcy, Zoe and Karen (on loan from Wodonga South School).

No comments:

Post a Comment