Sunday, September 19, 2010

Reflecting on the Ball

Students were asked to write what they had learned since starting dancing lessons to prepare for the Intermediate ball. Here are some comments written by Huia 1 class members the morning after the night before:

- The one thing I learned was never wear high heels, but I am much better at the Circle Waltz. (Hunter)

- Last night was a ball! I had so much fun with my mates dancing to Saturday Night Fever, which I enjoyed. I also had fun dancing to Scotland the Brave. I had eye contact* and just got along with it. I loved my hair and I also liked Mr Yates' wacky dance. This afternoon, Brittany, Hunter, Kumiko, So Yeon, Richard, Bailey, Anton, Mark, Mighael and I performed, in front of the junior assembly, the ball dances. They were Cotton-eye Joe, Saturday Night Fever and Scotland the Brave (the Gay Gordons music). When Cotton-eye Joe was finished, I announced that there is a special surprise which was Mark shuffling. He was really good at it and I am really proud of myself and my mates. (Nikeeta)
* Note from Mrs Vincent: students were told they must have eye contact when they are asking or being asked to dance.

- The ball was really, really fun. I was half confident for dancing. (Chris).

- My dancing got better and I am confident to ask someone to dance. (Sarah)

- This week was awesome. I learned to control my nervousness. It was really fun but I had to leave early. (Erica)

- I was OK to dance with boys. It was a lot of fun. The funny thing was I came fashionably late. (Juliana)

- This week we learned the Snowball Waltz. It starts with one couple dancing, then they both choose new partners until everyone is dancing. I wasn't nervous about asking someone to dance. (Rebekah)

- (This week) I haven't improved on much but I did improve on my dancing...I did really well in my waltz. I have been following the formation left, right, left, right, and that's pretty much how it goes. (Bailey)

- I like dancing. I wished the ball was ever-lasting because I had a great time. I was very thirsty so I got a cup of water and drank it all within 10 seconds. But then I got a brain freeze which was bad. (Donny)

- Last night was the ball and it was awesome. I won as "Amazon" gift voucher for having the greatest time. I am really confident in asking a person to dance and I have really improved in my waltzing and I learned to dance to a new song called "Scotland the Brave" by Jay Jay. It is more like a techno song than a Scottish one. Another reason why I enjoyed last night was because it is my last year at this school and I really decided to enjoy myself. (Mighael)

- ...It was really cool. I learned lots of skills. It was fun and I can ask boys to dance. Learning to dance has helped me a lot. (Kumiko)

- This week at the ball I got a $20 gift card fot the best waltzing. (Garrick)

- This week I have improved in dancing. I am confident asking people to dance. (Mark)

-This week I have improved in persuasive writing and convinced Mrs Vincent to let us practise dancing. I am really good at dancing now. (Ricki-Jean)


No comments:

Post a Comment